My mom-in-law sent me an e-mail today touting the various inexpensive uses of coffee filters. And you can buy 1,000 at the Dollar Tree for almost nothing even the large ones.
I thought several of these were good ideas so I thought I’d post it in my Tips N Tricks section of the blog.
1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers.
2. Clean windows, mirrors, and chrome… Coffee filters are lint-free so they’ll leave windows sparkling.
3. Protect China by separating your good dishes with a coffee filter between each dish.
4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.
5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
6. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
7. Weigh messy chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.
8. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.
9. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.
10. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter.
11. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. It soaks out all the grease.
12. Use them to strain soup stock and to tie fresh herbs in to put in soups and stews.
13. Use them as a spoon rest while cooking and clean up small counter spills.
14. Can use to hold dry ingredients when baking or when cutting a piece of fruit or veggies.. Saves on having extra bowls to wash. **Note from Katie – jalepenos anyone?
15. Use as a disposable “snack bowl” for popcorn, chips, etc.